Friday, February 20, 2009

Addicted to the printed word

I have a tendency to read mostly non-fiction. I have a bad habit of reading just the introduction and a chapter or two of many books. But life is too short to waste reading books that don't really grab you. Here are two books that have grabbed me and that I intend to read all the way to the end:

The Forgiving Self: The road from resentment to connection. Robert Karen.

Very accessible and humane discussion of what forgiveness really is - deeply spiritual and realistic.

Enduring Seeds: Native American agriculture and wild plant conservation. Gary Paul Nabhan.

I cannot praise this 20-year old book highly enough. Beautifully written and vitally important information.

Here is another book that I've just started and I have high hopes for:

The Ascent of Money: A financial history of the world. Niall Ferguson.

I've just read the introduction so far. Hopefully it lives up to its ambitions.

I have other books by my bed that I haven't started "really reading" yet. So those will have to wait for another post . . . if they make the cut.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mandy...love your blog. I hope you don't mind I'm going to add it to my blog so I can read it often. So good to catch up with you after all these years. - Jen

    ReplyDelete